Final Cabo Highlights-From Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

Welcome to Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power, and welcome back to my Cabo Journal of Highlights. I’m really excited to tell you about our final day in Cabo so grab your coffee or whatever you’re having and come on in.

I’m sitting on a wall that goes all the way down to the ocean at the Playa Grande. We’ve had an amazing day and as George takes a little siesta, I’m waiting for the laundry to finish washing so I can put them in the dryer. I really like going home with clean clothes. Besides, it makes my life a bit easier when I get home. You know how hectic it can be to get back in a routine after a vacation.

It’s our last day here in Cabo and wow, did we end it with a bang, or a poof is more like it! 🙂 First, I should probably tell you that one of my resolutions at the beginning of the year was to do things I hadn’t done before. Okay, back to the story. 🙂

All week, George has been wanting to do something I’d always said I would NEVER, EVER do, but last night, I told him I’d try it. I was really going to go parasailing! As we left in the morning, I was feeling that same nervous feeling in my stomach, kind of like I was feeling on Wednesday, only worse. I took his hand and let him lead me to the dock to buy the tickets from the same guy that he had talked to the day before.

After we purchased our tickets he walked us to the dock while telling us his story, which is quite a story! He told us he lives in Cabo and he don’t drink, or smoke or party. He said, “I am Christian and I go to a Baptist church. I have everything at one time, but I lose everything. I have children, wife, house, brand new cars, everything, and then I did stupid things, and I lost it all. Now, God is giving me a second chance and in six months, I will bring my wife and children to live with me because she forgive me.”

He had such a joy about him and it really helped to put my fears in perspective, at least for a few more minutes!

Before we walked to the boat, George went around on Juansaim’s other side and told him he wanted to pray for him, and he did. I think it caught him off guard but the tears in his eyes told us he had understood the prayer of blessing that George had prayed over his life.

As we boarded the boat, I kept reminding myself of Juansaim’s assurances; that these guys had been doing this for twenty-plus years, and they were the best at it. I literally began to dig deep in my brain to try and recall if I had heard of any parasailing accidents, but couldn’t for the life of me come up with any memory about anything remotely close. By the time I sat down in the boat by this beautiful young Columbian girl and across from her brother‘s best friend, I started trembling and by the time the guy explained all the dos and don’ts, I had convinced myself that I was not going up tied to no parachute!

Poof, it's up, up, up . . .

Fear must be a universal language, because the guy who was in charge of the instructions looked at me and told me not to worry, that it was real smooth. I looked at him with a “yeah, right” look, and reminded myself to breathe. The young guy was the first to get harnessed and up on deck. Pancho let the parachute out, and for just a few seconds, I forgot my fear as I watched, mesmerized by the beauty of it getting bigger, and bigger, looking like a big silk balloon against the blue sea.

I watched as they attached the harness to the bar, and within seconds, the boat’s engine revved louder and louder and I looked up to see this guy grinning from ear to ear as he was pulled back from the boat and then up, up, up, up, and away. He was ecstatic, screaming with laughter, and when the rope had been extended the full 600 feet, the guy put his arms out and pretended to be a bird. It looked fun, and easy enough, and I began to experience a mental tug of war between do and die.I watched him ease back onto the boat like a bird landing on a table. He made it look so easy, I found myself feeling envious.

When the beautiful Columbian girl — btw, her name is Angel! — went up, she also made it look so easy, but I told myself, she’s young. I watched as the parachute glided up, up and away with her, and again, I began to get so sick and nervous, but this time, I felt something wet sliding down my cheeks. I was crying. I told George I couldn’t do it; that I was real scared. “I’ll be with you, Baby,” he assured me. I shook my head in response. Negative! Then he hit below the belt with his words: “Do you want to go home and write about sitting in the boat crying and watching me, or do you want to write about being up there with me?”

Before I could answer, the guy came over with my harness and literally pulled me up and into it. I was going parasailing, like it or not!

OMG, am I really . . .

Holy pooh, hanging on for dear life:)


It all happened so fast, there was no time to freak any more than I already had. I had to pay attention to the guy who was telling me where to hold and where not to hold on. Angel was cheering for me, and so was her friend, and before I knew it, the boat was moving away, or we were moving away from the boat, our legs straight out in front of us, our toes pointed to the sky!

I felt frozen as I watched the boat move away and become smaller. I looked down, and the water that looks so inviting, warm and beautiful from the shore suddenly looked cold and scary. I heard the shouts from Angel and her friend and I dared to look to the left at George, who was singing, “shark attack, shark attack; get out of the water and don‘t look back. Hey, Mister, have you seen my pup? I threw a stick in the water and it never came up! Can you believe him? 🙂

I begged him to stop and sing a worship song instead. I’m not sure how long it was before I loosened my grip on the rope, careful not to let my hands slide to the “danger” area, and at one point, I was even brave enough to ask him for a kiss! We weren’t quite the full 600 feet up, and little Angel could see us kiss and screamed for us to do it again.

a sky-high kiss!

Right after that, I looked down and felt the parachute climb up the rest of the way and I caught my breath. I looked out and saw the traces of whales at play in the sea, their blow holes a shadow in the distance.

They say it was a ten-minute ride, but it actually felt a lot quicker than that. The rope pulled us back in as gentle as a swing on a tree. As we got closer to the boat, George reminded me to put my feet straight out in front of me again, and point my toes to the sky. Before I knew it, I was seated back on the boat and Pancho was undoing the latch from our harness to the parachute arm. I was still trembling, but now it was from excitement and exhilaration. I was so glad I had done it.

I will admit, I was scared just about the entire time up there, and I think I enjoyed the feeling of overcoming my fear more than the actual parasail itself, but I’ll definitely do it again, and maybe this time, even take my own camera and get a few pics from up in the sky! Wow, what a feeling!

Thanks for letting me share this with you and please come back to the blog next week. Speaking of next week, it’s time to get back to the second book in the trilogy, so I’ll only be blogging three days a week instead of five! Tell your friends. The more at Coffee Hour with Chicklit Power, the better!



Sunset Cruise, a hug at the arch!

Cabo Sunset . . .

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 Responses to “Final Cabo Highlights-From Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power”

  1. Gail says:

    You were very brave. So proud of you. 🙂

  2. Lauren says:

    I’ve been missing your blog and while reading it I realized I’ve been missing out on your life! haha We really DO need to catch up! How cool… This was very fun and easy to read right through and actually left me a little disappointed when it was already over. I’m so proud of where you are at, and the journey getting here… its amazing isn’t it? God is SO good!!! Now you get to share this beautiful journey with the world!